File storage and sharing; works on mobile devices
IT Professional Groups
Meetings and news for DCC and Sysadmin groups is posted at http://blogs.brown.edu/depttechnews
DCC (Departmental Computing Coordinators)
- Meetings are held on the 2nd Wednesday of the month
- Join the DCC ListServ
- DCC meeting presentation archive
- Pat Kinghorn is the DCC / CIS Liaison
- Meetings generally held on 4th Thursday of the month, 10am to 12pm, location varies. Consult the listserv for any changes in date and/or location.
- SysAdmins are welcome at DCC meetings as well.
- Join the SysAdmin ListServ
On-Campus Interest Groups
- Brown Internet Programmers Group - usually fourth Mondays at 2:30pm. Website, Listserv
- Brown Linux Users Group - Website
Off-Campus Interest Groups (Not Affiliated with Brown)
- Code for America RI
- League of Professional System Administrators
- NorthEast Regional Computing Program (NERCOMP)
- Providence Drupal Meetup
- Providence Geek Dinner
- Providence PHP Meetup
- Providence UX Meetup
- Providence Wordpress Meetup
- Additional Group Listings from PVD Tech Events
Assistance and Outages
- If you need assistance, call the IT Service Center at 863-4357.
- You can also create a ticket online at ithelp.brown.edu. If you intend to use the ticketing system in more depth, you can request a DeskPro Account online - note that the Protecting Brown's Information course is required before receiving access.
- If you think there is an outage of a campus IT service, check the IT at Brown homepage to see if it is already listed. If not, report it to the IT Service Center by calling 863-4357. Outside of business hours? Press 0.
- Supported Operating Systems - Windows, Macintosh
- RSS Feeds:
- The Service Catalog is a comprehensive list of IT services provided by CIS and other groups on campus. The Technical Systems category may especially be of interest.
- Each service listing links to documentation, support, and the request mechanism for the service.
- Services include everything from password resets to web development to academic technology consultations - even if you think you know all the services available on campus, we suggest taking a look now and then to see what's new.
- Buying a Computer - includes recommended configurations
- Dell Premier Store - IT professionals can request an account in order to submit e-quotes on equipment their department would like to purchase. The financial coordinator of the department can then approve the purchase in Workday.
- Buying a Cellular Phone / Tablet
Repair / Part Ordering
- Repair information and rates are available on the repairs page.
- Select parts are available for those who wish to perform their own service and maintenance on their departmental equipment, including printer maintenance kits, memory chips, and other user installable parts. No warranty parts are available, and training is not provided for installation of purchased parts. (at 115 Waterman St., Room 101)
- The CIS software catalog is online at http://software.brown.edu.
- Microsoft Software Licensing
- If you are looking for a title not listed in the catalog, email Software_Services@brown.edu - they might know of other licenses on campus or be able to negotiate with an existing vendor.
Data Protection and Security
- Information Security Resources
- Procedures for Emergency Data Requests, Computing Incidents & Copyright Complaints
- Policies, Best Practices & Technical Standardss
- US CERT: Coordination Center | Alerts | Bulletins| Current Activity | Tips | Vulnerability Notices
- SANS: Internet Storm Center | @ Risk | NewsBites | Training | Twitter Feed | Webcasts
- Symantec's Threats & Risks Listing
- Microsoft Security Bulletins and Advisories | Apple Security Updates
- Virus Hoaxes on Snopes
- General: Interservices Ports | Online Ping & Lookups
- Open Source Intrusion Detection: Snort | OSSEC (TrendMicro)
- Secure Remote Access: OpenSSH (open source)
- Offered through CIS: Desktop Backup (Druva) | Identity Finder | SSL Certificates (InCommon)
- Virus & Threat Removal Tools (Symantec)
Other Links and Information
Track help tickets for technology issues
Online training on technical and business topics
Off-campus access to the Brown network