If a department has a dedicated support person, they are encouraged to designate that person as a Departmental Computing Coordinator. The purpose of this program is to recognize the important role local Coordinators play and to help them do their job. The role of a DCC depends upon the skills and specialization of the Coordinator involved, the needs of the individual department and the time that the appointed Coordinator has available to devote to the task. A Coordinator might act in one or more of the following capacities:
- Sharing information about campus computing directions, activities and opportunities with other members of the department.
- Planning or assisting in planning departmental computing directions to meet existing and expected computing needs.
- Implementing new systems and applications and upgrading existing facilities (e.g., hardware installation and maintenance, programming, software installation, hardware and software upgrades).
- Training and supporting departmental users (including writing documentation).
- Administering shared systems such as network servers and printers.