Repairs for Personal Equipment (Student, Faculty, Staff)
Repairs for personal computers and devices (such as phones and tablets) are provided by the Brown Bookstore Tech Center for a fee.
Repairs for Brown-Owned Equipment (Faculty, Staff)
Repairs for supported Brown-Owned computers and devices are provided at the service window of the CIT building at 115 Waterman St. Before bringing in equipment for repair, please consult with your IT Support Consultant (ITSC) or Departmental Computing Coordinator (DCC).
- What's covered? Dell or Apple computers purchased less than four years before the time of service, for which parts are still available from the manufacturer.
- What's not covered? Older machines or other models. Computer accessories (external storage drives, cables, etc.). Damage from user negligence, e.g. liquid spills, drops, and use of invalid media. Memory and other hardware upgrades, including other computer consumables such as batteries (you would be charged for parts, but not labor).
- What if my computer repair is not covered? Older or non-standard computers will be repaired if time and materials are available, and charged according to our computer repair fees. A departmental account number will be necessary before work starts. In instances where the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the machine, the departmental representative will be advised to purchase new hardware. Departments unable to do so may be offered operational surplus equipment in lieu of repairs, if such equipment is available.
Mobile Devices - iPhones / iPads
- What's covered? Anything under warranty from Apple. This usually does NOT include cracked screens or other physical damage, and is limited to hardware (not software/apps).
- What if my iPhone / iPad repair is not covered? Some other services for Brown-owned iDevices will be charged based on current rates. Please contact us for a quote.
- Note: Locked devices should be unlocked and set to not lock while they are in for service. In addition, all apps are tied to your iTunes account; in order to restore your phone completely we will need access to your iTunes account. It is recommended that you change your iTunes password to a temporary password prior to coming in for service so that we can log in on your behalf to complete installation.
Mobile Devices - Android / Other
- What's covered? Any warranty repairs. Note that unlike iDevices, computers, or printers, your device will be returned to the cellular provider for repair or replacement.
- What if my device repair is not covered? You would need to work with Telecommunications to order a new device.
- What's covered? HP printers purchased less than four years before the time of service, for which parts are still available from the manufacturer.
- What involves a fee? Printer parts requiring replacement due to normal wear and tear, including consumables such as toner, fusers, rollers, ink cartridges, user replaceable print heads and user maintenance kits. Damage caused by the use of Non-OEM Toners is not covered. The cost of these parts and labor will be the responsibility of the department.
- What if my printer repair is not covered? Repairs will be charged according to the fees below.
Brown-Owned Computer and Printer Repair Fees
|Computer Diagnosis/Repair - Supported Equipment||No charge|
|Computer Diagnosis/Repair - Unsupported Equipment||$75 per hour|
|Non-Repair Labor Rate (Setups/Machine Prep/Etc)||$75 per hour|
|Pickup/Delivery||No charge during standard pickup and delivery days|
|On-site Repairs||No charge during standard on-site days|
- In-Shop - Equipment can be brought to the Service window in the CIT lobby for repairs
- Pickup - This service is available for desktop CPUs, monitors, and printers. We will pick up the equipment from your office on scheduled days and deliver it when the repair is complete.
- Onsite - This service is available for desktop computer and printer problems. We will come to your office on scheduled days to perform service. (Limitations apply)
- Priority Service - Priority service is available for most repairs. This ensures priority in diagnosing your problem. Ordering parts may delay the completion of repairs.