This policy describes the University's terms of service for the use of the Google Apps for Education service. Brown provides email services to support the educational, administrative and alumni activities of the University, and to serve as a means of official communication by and between users and Brown. Due to changes in Brown's email services, all members of the Brown community now have their brown.edu mail accounts remotely hosted by Google. The purpose of these terms of service is to make the University community aware of certain obligations when utilizing the Google Apps for Education service. Section 3.0 below will also be presented for review upon first accessing a Google-hosted account. This document was developed to ensure that this service remains available and reliable, and is used for purposes appropriate to the University's mission.
This policy applies to all students, faculty, staff and alumni who opt to utilize the Google Apps for Education service.
In order to use Google's services as provided to Brown, all participants must be aware of, agree to, and adhere to the following:
- When utilizing Google Apps for Education services, you are bound by the Brown University Acceptable Use Policy .
- Anyone in the Brown University community utilizing Google Apps for Education services must agree and adhere to the Google Terms of Service that will be presented for review when creating your account.
- Anyone in the Brown University community utilizing Google Apps for Education services must be aware that their data may be stored in datacenters outside the borders of the United States.
- As stated in the Brown University Acceptable Use Policy, anyone in the Brown University community utilizing Google Apps for Education services acknowledges that Brown has the ability to monitor, use, or disclose their data, and that Google provides Brown the ability to do so. Any access of information stored on your account will follow the standards established in the current University practice for emergency access found in the document Emergency Access to Accounts and Information.
- Alumni using Google Apps for Education services must also conform to the Alumni Acceptable Use Policy.
- Anyone in the Brown University community utilizing Google Apps for Education services will be supported through either the Brown University Help Desk or Brown Advancement Alumni Help Desk.
- Anyone in the Brown University community utilizing Google Apps for Education services must acknowledge that Google can terminate their account if they fail to abide by the Google Terms of Service.
4.0 Of Special Note in the Google Terms of Service
Anyone in the Brown University community utilizing Google Apps for Education services is made aware of the Google Acceptable Use Policy that states that you agree not to use the Google services provided to you:
- to generate or facilitate unsolicited bulk commercial email;
- to violate, or encourage the violation of, the legal rights of others;
- for any unlawful, invasive, infringing, defamatory, or fraudulent purpose;
- to intentionally distribute viruses, worms, Trojan horses, corrupted files, hoaxes, or other items of a destructive or deceptive nature;
- to interfere with the use of the Services, or the equipment used to provide the Services, by customers, authorized resellers, or other authorized users;
- to alter, disable, interfere with or circumvent any aspect of the Services;
- to test or reverse-engineer the Services in order to find limitations, vulnerabilities or evade filtering capabilities;
- to use the Services, or a component of the Services, in a manner not authorized by Google.
5.0 Changes to this Policy
Brown reserves the right to change this policy at any time. Brown will post the most up-to-date version of the policy on Brown's web site and may, in its discretion, provide users with additional notice of significant changes. A user's continued use of the service after any changes are published binds the user to the revised policy.
6.0 Related Policies and Links
Questions or comments to: ITPolicy@brown.edu
Effective Date: September 04, 2009
Last Reviewed: September, 2015
Next Scheduled Review: September, 2016