This issue is resolved.
Currently the majority of campus services have been fully restored, including
Google Drive for Desktop (also known as Google Drive File Stream/GDFS) and
The following services remain affected:
- Direct access to files.brown.edu and lrs.brown.edu. These two file services are currently only enabled from:
- A VPN login with the CrowdStrike agent installed on the endpoint or
- A Brown server with the CrowdStrike agent installed
- Note: We are continuing work to make this available to a computer on the Brown wireless network with the CrowdStrike agent installed
- File services now available on wired network
- Google Sync, Dropbox, and wired network changes
- Update and enhancements to Brown’s VPN service
- Expanded access to electronic services for the Brown community
- New security software available for Brown-owned Windows computers
April 1, 2021 - 12:58 pm
Dear Brown Faculty and Staff,
As we shared earlier this week, we detected a security incident on Tuesday, March 30, which has impacted the availability of certain systems within Brown’s computer network. When this was detected, an investigation immediately began and since then, we have been methodically working to determine which specific systems were impacted and to restore the involved systems to operation as quickly as possible. A number of systems have remained available from the start, including Banner Self Service, Canvas, Workday, Zoom, and Google.
Our team is committed to restoring all services as soon as possible. Among the key systems that we have returned to operation are the following:
Most www.brown.edu websites
[Additional restored services are listed at the top of this alert]
We appreciate your continued patience and support as we work to restore connectivity and bring additional systems back online. We will add updates to the CIS website (https://it.brown.edu/alerts) and provide additional information as appropriate. Employees can contact their IT Support Consultant (ITSC) or Departmental Computing Coordinator (DCC) with urgent questions, and anyone can contact the IT Service Center at https://it.brown.edu/get-help or 401-863-HELP.
Chief Digital Officer and Chief Information Officer